Everyone knows the problem of minor damage to car body paint. Whether they happen when parking or come from branches in the woods – they are always annoying. Professional scratch removal is usually expensive, so many people want to repair the damage themselves. In the following instructions you will know what to consider and how even ordinary people can easily and inexpensively repair paint damage with the help of a spray can.
This paint damage can be treated with a spray can!
Not everyone Damage to the coating can be removed with a spray can. However, before spending huge sums on professional repair in the workshop, it is worth checking for dents and cuts on the car body. If it is rather small, it can be touched with a spray can. However, ordinary people should pay attention to the correct method of action, so that the body does not show any abnormalities in the optics after the procedure. Advantages of spray repair can:
- Inexpensive alternative
- fast and easy
- Suitable for minor paint damage
Alternative Repair Options
Many who want to repair damage to the body use the replacement spray can. And in the case of particularly minor damage to the coating, the so-called paint pen to use. This is similar to nail polish and is applied to the damage with the help of an applicator fee. However, these paint sticks are only suitable for minor damages, for example scratches caused by stone chip. On the other hand, spray comes For medium paint damage to use. However, it should be checked in advance if the damage is probably only superficial. In this case, it is often sufficient To clean Damage becomes invisible. However, in the case of large scratches or large scratches, a specialist should be consulted, body / component repainting is usually unavoidable in this case.
car paint layers
In order to be as well prepared as possible for the repair task, you should pay attention to the different layers of paint. The top layer of car paint is clean coat. below this three More layers of paint. The second layer of paint sets the color for the car. So the spray cans must match the color of the second layer. Below is one primer. By the way, it is recommended to apply another layer after the varnish has dried clean coat to apply.
Proper use of spray cans
If you have decided to use the spray can for repairs, this is it now right shade To investigate. Many online stores and regional hardware stores offer a variety of different colors. However, before repairing damage to the vehicle, it is a good idea to test the paint from the can on an inconspicuous area of the vehicle body to ensure that the shade matches the vehicle’s paint color. Usually, a spray can be enough to repair minor paint damage. To be on the safe side, you can also buy two cans, but the rule of thumb is: if more than one can be needed, consider professional repainting the component.
- protection: When using the spray bottle, be careful with your packaging Security and protection. Wear a mask and work gloves and, if necessary, wear protective clothing when applying paint.
- Cleanliness: It should be the workplace and the car Before It must be thoroughly cleaned and free of grease and dust before applying the paint. In addition, drafts should be excluded.
- Temperature: The paint should be applied in a spray can at 20°C to achieve the best results.
More action when working with spray cans!
Even regular people can learn how to use the pack in no time at all. However, in order to achieve an acceptable result when applying paint, advance Some points to consider. shake the can Before The application is widespread. The guideline here is about two minutes. Free spraying is recommended, especially for modern cans. This means that you let the sprayer spray briefly into a non-damaging area so that subsequent sprays are more even. When applying paint, it is best to spray from a distance of about 15 cm for best results. If you want to spray multiple layers, you should do it Not all at once Done – leave every layer dry. The paint drying process usually takes only five minutes. For visual reasons, it is recommended Several thin layers Applied, because then the result will be more.
Detailed instructions for repairing paint damage
- grinding: The affected area should be light in advance sanded will. Fine grains are suitable for this – preferably 400 degrees.
- matte finish: Subsequent matt sanding is done with water.
- silicone remover: With the help of silicone remover, the damaged area is freed from dirt and cleaned.
- mask: Now comes the masking. For this you can use traditional newspapers and masking tape.
- Attach foam tape: If you want a smooth edge after applying the paint, it’s a good idea to attach a circular foam tape.
- Primer: The primer must be sprayed before the actual application of the paint. About two to three layers are recommended. Allow the primer to dry completely before moving on to step 7.
- grinding: Now sand again, but this time you should use 600 or 800 grit with water. This allows for better adhesion of the next layer of paint.
- cleaning: The affected area should be cleaned with silicone remover after each grinding.
- Base coat application: This is applied in a similar way to a primer. Apply two or three coats and then let the paint dry again.
- clean coat: Now comes the clear coat. Usually an application of about two layers is sufficient. Work as accurately as possible.
- Strip off: To prevent dry paint from tearing with masking tape, it must be removed again after a short drying period.
- Respray: After completing the finishing process, you should apply a mixing diluent. This visually prevents annoying edges.
After successful drying, polishing should be carried out. Suitable for this task 2000 degree sanding. The sandpaper should be done wet to remove any small inclusions of dust. after that final polish Carried out – make sure everything is dry. It is recommended to dry overnight.
Difference Between 2K and 1K Transparent Layer
2K transparencies are treated differently from 1K transparencies. The letter “K” stands for “ingredients”. With a 2K transparent layer, this consists of Acrylic resins and hardeners. It is recommended to use a 2K clear coat when repairing damage to the paint on the body, as it is more resistant to chemicals and weathering than 1K clear coat. In addition, the 2K translucent layer dries faster.
Proper storage of spray cans
After the repair is completed successfully, you do not have to throw away the spray can immediately if there is still some paint in it. For proper storage, the nozzle and suction tube must be cleaned. To do this, it is better to hold the can upside down and press the spray head so that no more paint is sprayed. With the help of this trick, the atomizer can be stored for much longer, even after it has been opened.
The following note is necessary: For safety reasons, tuningblog recommends all repair, inspection and maintenance work exclusive In a specialized workshop! Although our information is summarized to the best of our knowledge and belief, we cannot take any responsibility for the content. So all information is “without warranty”.
Of course that was far from that!
In this Tuning Blog category are guides and instructions for common vehicle defects/repairs and for mounting accessories/tuning parts. Our articles explain in a simple way common defects and their corresponding fixes, as well as how the first signs of a defect become noticeable. In most cases, we also have preliminary guides for repair instructions in our repair instructions approximate Included costs. Our goalAuto Repair Manual“It is to create a knowledge launch for the next visit to the workshop with the initial tips. This may save you from tedious troubleshooting and you may be able to do little things on your own. The same, of course, applies to the installation of accessories / tuning of parts. Here too, we would like to help with implementation from During the how-tos and tips.There are many other posts about this as well.Next is an excerpt from the last and here are all the previous instructables.