With our contribution to the topic “Car Window Tinting! Costs, Process and Important Information!” we explained in a way that was easy to understand Foil car windows Happen or occur. But after a few years, depending on the quality and care, the color film may get more scratches, discolor, blister, or simply become too dark for the user. Then she has to come back is removedperfect, without It costs a fortune. In principle, it does not matter whether the film was glued to the windows of the car or to the windows of the apartment. He should not For hours, with a razor blade or painstakingly washing away gum. The best way to use one Steam device. Another difference is the use of the chip ammonia to spray then windows Covered with garbage bags. In combination with the sun, ammonia dissolves the adhesive and the film can be removed.
First, roll the window about 0.5 cm. The window should be opened wide enough that the top edge of the panel can be seen and touched. Now open the door so that the inside of the taped window can be accessed. Start with the parts in the windows and finally remove the film from the large rear window. Primarily demand for vehicles with Rear window heating Important so that you can practice and not start directly with the rear window and delicate heating wires.
Heat the window on both sides.
- Almost any existing steamer can be used for this task. The nozzle should be facing the window 2.5 to 5 cm to have. First, the outer side of the window is fumigated. Then the window is fumigated from the inside. Movements should be long and thorough. The best From top to bottom. Glass should be everywhere same to be hot. The adhesive melts when the board is heated from the outside. In the case of a rear window or windows that are difficult to reach from the outside (in an apartment, for example), the steam is from the outside not necessary. Instead of using a steamer, you can also use a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen the glue. However, this may take more time and adhesive residue may remain. But beware: If the glass is heated too much, it may break! So you should be especially careful with the hot air gun.
Using a razor blade, lift the foil from the edges.
- Gently cut the corner of the foil with the razor blade sliding up. If the foil is loosened with a razor blade, it can be removed more easily. If the foil can’t be removed yet, it still needs to be a little longer steamed/heated will. So steam the disc again and keep trying. If residues of the adhesive substance remain, it can be carefully removed with a razor blade. Alternatively, since a razor blade can also scratch glass, a lemon-based cleaner should be used and the blade covered with lubricant.
Continue to steam and then slowly peel off the foil.
- The slide should slowly rotate 180 degrees From top to bottom subtract from. Keep working with the steam as you peel it off, especially where the film is still sticking. Do not pull hardOtherwise, the foil will be torn and the work will become more difficult. If the foil is torn, simply find a fresh start with a razor blade. warning: Hot steam can quickly burn and the razor blade is of course very sharp.
Regular household cleaners remove adhesive residue.
- spray bottle with a A mixture of water and household detergents Fill equal parts. Give this on the window and by non-abrasive sponge rub away. Then dry the glass with a paper towel. Wipe the door panels or window frame with a clean microfiber cloth to remove any remaining water. Then repeat this action on each additional colored window. advice: Always work slowly and calmly.
advice: Residue can also be removed with an alcohol-based cleaning agent (such as spirit). To do this, apply some liquid to a squeegee/cloth and wipe off the adhesive residue.
Steam for a few minutes until the film can be removed from the rear window.
- If you want to remove the foil from the rear window, you should, if possible, remove the window from the window insidebut also from the outside Spray with steam jet. Unlike smaller side windows, you will have to wait several minutes (7-10 minutes). Rear window steam. Then carefully peel off the top corners and foil at a 180 degree angle pull slowly. It should be noted that the rear window usually has a built-in sensitive rear glass heater, which, of course, should not be damaged. advice: With the rear seats folded down, the rear window (sedan) is easy to access. At least the headrests should be removed in any case.
Working with ammonia!
First you need to remove the interior door panels mask off. Plastic wrap is the best way to protect these parts from ammonia. Be careful with newspaper, it is absorbent and will absorb the ammonia and let it pass. It is important that all electrical objects such as switches or speakers are well covered. advice: This method of film peeling works best when the sun is shining, because the sun’s heat can work with the ammonia to break down the adhesive..
Cut the trash bags in the shape of the windows.
- Place the trash bag on the window and mark the edges with a marker Effect. Then cut the wafer and disassemble it. You get two tins per bag! One film is required for the inside and one for the outside. Film must be made for each window. If there is no access to the outside, for example in the apartment, then equip only the interior with it.
Now spray the windows with dishwater and put trash bags on top of them.
- Uses three quarters of a spray bottle water Fill then there is a splash cleaner to. then windows From outside sprinkle garbage bag put on top. The water ensures that the film adheres to the window. The insides The tablets are now sprayed with ammonia and Along the same lines Covered with garbage bags. The trash bag also sticks to the board itself due to moisture. This must be done for all windows with tinted windows. If the basket liner is not installed, use masking tape to secure it instead. And if there is no ammonia in the house, then simply use washing-up liquid or baby shampoo with water. caution: When working with ammonia, wear gloves and a respirator to protect the skin and lungs. The sun is now doing the job of heating the glass. The heat allows the ammonia to better dissolve the gum. The best day for this activity is a hot and sunny day in the middle of summer. However, you should plan for approximately two hours of exposure to ammonia.
Now remove the basket liner and peel the foil.
- Once the basket liner is off, use the razor blade to lift one of the corners up so you can grab the foil with your fingers. Now slowly peel off the foil at a 180 degree angle. Keep calm and focused so the film doesn’t tear. If it tears however, lift a new corner and continue peeling.
Sticky residues are removed with ammonia and steel wool.
- If the film is completely removed, sticky residue may remain. But only windows again ammonia spray. then with soft steel wool Remove glue residue. Then use some newspaper to wipe off the residue and liquid. If the adhesive does not dissolve optimally, then a A razor blade Help There are large scraper blades that make the job easier. Be careful with the heating strips on the rear window, this is of course allowed in the campaign Don’t get hurt.
advice: Is the window tint just dirty and needs cleaning? You can find all the information on this in our article “Cleaning tinted car windows? This is how it works!
The following note is necessary: For safety reasons, tuningblog recommends all repair, inspection and maintenance work exclusive In a specialized workshop! Although our information is summarized to the best of our knowledge and belief, we cannot take any responsibility for the content. So all information is “without warranty”.
Of course that was far from that!
In this Tuning Blog category there are guides and instructions for common vehicle defects/repairs and for mounting accessories/tuning parts. Our articles explain in a simple way common defects and their corresponding repairs, as well as explain how the first signs of a defect become noticeable. In most cases, we also have preliminary guides for repair instructions in our repair instructions approximate Pending repair costs are listed. The goal of our subcategoryAuto Repair Manual“It is to create a knowledge launch for the next visit to the workshop with the initial advice. This may save you from tedious troubleshooting and small things can be done directly on your own. The same of course applies to the installation of accessories / tuning of parts. Here too, we would like to help with the implementation through the instructions and tips.There are many other posts about this as well.The following is an excerpt from the latter and here are all the previous instructables:
“tuningblog.eu” – we keep you updated on the topic of auto tuning and car styling with our tuning magazine and present you every day the latest tuning cars from all over the world. It is better if you subscribe to our feed and you will be automatically notified as soon as there is something new about this post, and of course also about all other posts.