125cc moped with out examination: B196 Driving License Extension

For many, motorcycles are not just a simple means of transportation, but above all a way of life. In order to be able to enjoy freedom on two wheels, you need a driver’s license of the corresponding vehicle category (all information about a motorcycle license). But not all cyclists have to undergo additional testing.

Useful for motorcyclists

Driving license with extension B196

Anyone who already has a Class B/BE driver’s license (vehicle driver’s license/vehicle driver’s license with follower) can, with some basic requirements, also without additional testing Motorcycles the classroom A 1 (125 cc class).
Because: Since 2020, there has been an extension B196 for holders of a Class B driver’s license. After completing theoretical and practical training, you can use it to ride motorcycles in Germany – without any tests.

What are the requirements?

The B196 candidate must have held a driver’s license for at least five years. Minimum age: 25 years. You must complete nine hours of training – four theory lessons and at least five practical lessons of 90 minutes each at a driving school.

If you want to extend B196, you need four hours theory and five hours practical in driving school.

Anyone who meets the requirements and has participated in theoretical and practical driving lessons, will receive a certificate from the driving school. With this – and your current passport photo – you go to your local road traffic office and get a new driver’s licence. Then the key number 196 is entered after Class B.

This is what the expansion costs

Of course, extending a driver’s license does not come for free. For driving and theory lessons, passport photos and processing fees at the Road Traffic Office, you have to calculate between 700 and 900 euros, depending on the federal state. For comparison: an A1 driving license costs between 1,000 and 1,700 euros.

What can I drive with B196?

Once you have your new driver’s licence, you can drive Class A1 motorcycles as well as Class B vehicles. This means: Motorcycles with a cubic capacity of not more than 125 cm3 And the motor power is not more than 11 kW if the empty power / weight ratio does not exceed 0.1 kW / kg.

Photo Gallery


All information about motorcycle license

Three-wheeled vehicles can be driven up to 15 kW. But: unlike the A1 and A2 motorcycle license classes, the B196 cannot be extended to the next class with an additional test.

Where does the extension of a driver’s license apply?

B196 is an extension of a Class B driving license with the national key number 196. This is only valid in Germany and is not recognized abroad.

Who is eligible for an extension?

If you do not drive heavy machinery, do not like to travel abroad by motorbike and occasionally want to explore the area on the weekends, the extension is an excellent alternative to an A1 driver’s licence. Since no additional testing is required, the costs are much lower.
Honda CB125R

Depending on the model, 125 cc motorcycles can travel at speeds of up to 130 km / h.

Depending on the make and model, you can drive up to 130 km / h on 125 cc motorcycles. This is enough for country roads and even short highway distances to go with the flow.

What special regulations are there?

Light motorcycles up to 125 cm3 Anyone who obtained his driver’s license for older categories 2, 3 and 4 before April 1, 1980 may drive. This regulation entitles you to drive light motorcycles in Germany and abroad.

For everyone who obtained their driver’s license after April 1, 1980, the regulation is in effect until 2020 which states that you can only drive motorcycles with a class A1 driver’s license. The B196 Extension has created a simplified and more cost-effective approach to motorcycles. (this costs motorbikes)

Motorcycle driving license classes

All two- and three-wheeled vehicles

Motorcycles with a cubic capacity of up to 125 cc and an engine power of no more than 11 kW

motorcycles up to 35 kW; Engine power without displacement restrictions

Vehicles with a speed of no more than 45 km/h due to its design

20+ (if previously owned Class 2; minimum 2 years)

In other countries, there are/were special regulations that allow you to drive a motorcycle with an ordinary driver’s licence. However, these regulations usually only apply to driver’s license holders in individual sovereign territories.

So if you only have a German driving licence, you are not allowed to drive Class A1 motorcycles in Italy, for example, even though your Italian driving licence entitles you to do so.

What do you think?

Written by admin


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *





40 years in the past, Iron Maiden album “The Variety of the Beast” – rock historical past was launched

Aggressive Challenges within the International Automotive Sunroof Market 2022-2029 | Aisin Seiki, Wanchao, Wuxi Mingfang – GBS Information